Hauling Hunting Equipment into a Stand
- Never carry your bow and arrows up or down the tree with you as you climb.
- Always use a haul line of heavy cord attached to your stand to bring up your bow, arrows, and pack or to lower them prior to climbing down from your stand.
- Before attaching the haul line, put the arrows in a covered quiver and secure the quiver to your bow.
- Tie a loop on the end of your haul line. Pass the loop between the bow's limb and the bowstring. Hook the loop over the limb tip—or the cam or wheel of a compound bow. Make sure the arrow fletching points down as you pull your equipment up and points up as you lower your equipment.
- After you have tied the line to your bow, place the bow away from your climbing route so that you won't fall on sharp arrows if you lose your footing.
- Slip the end of the haul line through your belt—leave it untied so that it can pull free if you fall. Put on your FAS, secure yourself to the tree, and climb to your stand.
- After you are in the stand and secure, haul up your hunting equipment and untie the haul line.